Hi, it’s Karin here with a Sizzix Tutorial on how to make a pillow with appliquéd stars. A 12 x 16″ pillow is traditionally called boudoir size, and it’s my favorite shape to make.
It’s fun in red, white and blue for the 4th of July but can be made with any colors.
Cut two pieces of denim, 13 x 17″ each. Cut a 4 1/2″ square from each of the five fabrics for the stars.
Cut five 4 1/4″ squares of Pellon® EZ-Steam® II.
Peel off the paper backing from a piece of EZ-Steam® II. Affix the adhesive side of the EZ-Steam® II to the back of one of the fabric squares. Smooth out any air bubbles. Using the Sizzix Bigz die – Star #2, place the square with the fabric side down on the die. With the cutting pads in place, die cut the stars.
Repeat with the other four squares of fabric and four squares of EZ-Steam® II. There will be four stars in each print; I only used the pointy stars. I set the stars with rounded edges aside for another project.
Arrange the stars on one of the pieces of denim. I used 14 of the stars. It’s helpful to do this part on the ironing board. Once the stars are where you want them to be, peel off the backing and lightly stick them in place. It’s still possible to make adjustments at this point. With an iron and damp pressing cloth, fuse the stars to the denim following manufacturer’s instructions.
Using white or off-white thread with a sewing machine appliqué stitch — I use #45 on my Janome 7700QCP — follow the edges as closely as possible and appliqué the stars onto the denim.
For pillow assembly instructions, please refer to my easy zipper insertion tutorial here. I used 1/2″ seams with blue thread and put the zipper into the bottom seam.
Enjoy your new pillow!
Other Supplies Used:
- 1/2 yard denim for pillow cover
- 5 fabric scraps at least 4 1/2″ square, in red, white and blue
- 2 sheets Pellon® EZ-Steam® II
- 12 x 16″ pillow form
- 16″ zipper
- White or off-white thread for appliqué
- Blue thread for assembling the pillow
Latest posts by Karin Jordan (see all)
- Sizzix Tutorial | Dala Horse Wall Hanging by Karin Jordan - September 18, 2014
- Sizzix Tutorial | Sea Glass Table Runner by Karin Jordan - August 28, 2014
- Sizzix Tutorial | Melon Slice Pillow by Karin Jordan - July 23, 2014
- Sizzix Inspiration | 25 Things About Me Matchbook Notebook by Karin Jordan - June 23, 2014